1. Eat Organic Food, avoiding our brains exposure to highly neurotoxic GMO’s, pesticides, hormone and antibiotic-laden foods.
2. Eat Whole foods, avoiding processed foods full of neurotoxins and depleted of nutrition.
3. Eat a Balanced Diet with adequate nutrition for the brain by choosing safe, healthy, bioavailable sources, with the proper macronutrients (proteins, fats, carbohydrates) and micronutrients (essential vitamins and minerals).
4. Gluten-free alternative grain sources. The adverse effects of gluten and wheat on the brain are well established, with alternative grain sources imperative for good brain health.
5. Dairy (animal milk) products stress the gut and immune system and contribute to neuroinflammatory illness. Use animal-free (vegan) sources of milk products.
6. Good clean water source for drinking and cooking, free of heavy metals and other environmental toxins.
7. Avoid radiated food. Microwaves are close in neurotoxicity to X-ray radiation and should not be kept in your home nor used to prepare your food. Convection or toaster ovens offer an equally convenient, but much safer, alternative.
8. Omega-3 rich oils, including good quality organic coconut oil, provide critical nutrients for your brain health. Brain tissue is partially comprised of omega-3 fatty acids. Including adequate sources of these in your diet allows the brain to repair itself, reduces brain and body inflammation, and is a necessary part of normal brain development in children.
9. Sugars and glycemic index and Sugar alcohols. High glycemic foods, including all processed sugars and ‘natural’ forms such as agave syrup, Sucanat, and Turbinado and sugar alcohols such as Xylitol, Erythritol, and Sorbitol, all directly cause inflammation. Processed foods containing high fructose corn syrup, as well as processed grains, whose simple carbohydrate content rapidly converts to sugar, are well-documented sources of inflammation that directly affect the brain.
10. Alkaline pH. An acidic environment creates inflammation and disease states. A diet comprised of whole, organic foods, with a 60-80% majority of alkaline foods, promotes a healing environment for the cells of the body and the brain.
If you are interested in an individualized nutritional assessment as part of maximizing your neuroimmunological health, please contact my office at 505-503-8325 for an appointment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.